The RimWorld Multiplayer Mod allows you to play RimWorld together with your friends, which means that you can finally go around and make those lovely human leather hats together with your favorite group of people while at the same time performing the many war crimes of RimWorld!
If you are experiencing any issues with the mod please ask for help on our discord server instead of in the comments here, as it will be much easier for us to give you the necessary help there as we don’t provide support from the workshop page. This is also where we accept mod compatibility reports.
RimWorld Multiplayer Mod features
- Play with as many players as you want to! (We recommend a max of 8 though)
- Integrated with the steam api, so no portforwarding is needed.
- Can auto sync config files, download enabled workshop mods between the host and players. (Only via steam)
- Compatable with Royalty and 98% of all features except for colony naming, certain quests, and dev tools.
- Supports multi-colony setups. You can enable async time which makes each colony run their time separately.
- You can connect through either lan, steam, or direct connect (Latter requires you to portforward or use a vpn)
- Mod support. (Not all mods will work in multiplayer. Please read the “Using mods in multiplayer” if you plan on using them)
- Mod support status is shown directly in the ingame mod menu.
- API so you can easily add support for the multiplayer mod. You can read more about it here: API documentation.
What should the load order be like?
- Harmony -> Core -> (Royalty) -> Multiplayer -> Multiplayer Compatibility Mod -> All other mods.
How do i use direct connect?
- Look up how to port forward and open 30502 with UDP, upon hosting in-game you’ll need to input 0.0.0.0:30502 into the direct field. Clients will join with you public IP address.
You can find your public ip by searching for it on google etc…
If this does not work the connection is likely being blocked by a firewall somewhere.
What ports need to be portforwarded in case i want to use direct?
- 30502 through UDP
Are mods supported?
- 99% of XML mods will work nativity, C# mods may need a patch or the Multiplayer Compatibility Mod to function.
What is the arbiter?
- The arbiter is a second instance of RimWorld used as an extra check against desyncs; this can cause more desyncs depending on mods or having Royalty installed.
Does it work between different operating systems?
- Yes, the mod fully supports cross-os play between windows, mac and linux.
Can I change my ingame username?
– Yes, your name can be changed under mod options in-game.
Why does simulation take so long?
– Simulations takes place from the last auto-save made, so if you make a save from the esc menu it’ll eliminate the simulation time. The same applies to resyncing, so if the host forces a full save before someone resyncs it will also remove their simulation time.
Can each player have their own separate faction or colony?
- You can currently not have multiple player factions or completely separate player colonies. But you can still make multiple colonies that all players can control.
How do i convert my multiplayer save to a single player save?
- This can be done by hitting ESC while in game and selecting “Convert to Singleplayer”.
Currently this will result in a save that can’t be converted back to Multiplayer without chance of corruption, these saves can however still be used in Singleplayer.
A few things to note when using mods with multiplayer:
• When using mods in multiplayer you must make sure they’re listed as compatible with the multiplayer mod.
• You can check compatibility status on our modlist spreadsheet or in-game via the modlist.
• Your configs and mod order will be shared with all connecting clients, however any time you edit a config mid game, you must re-share these by having the clients leave and re-join.
• Do not mix local copies and workshop mods (as in if the host uses a workshop version of a mod the other player also has to) as it will likely cause issues if they are mixed. This also means you generally can’t have both a local and workshop copy downloaded if you are a connecting client. You can still use them together, but it has to be for the same mods on both the host and clients side.
– On windows it’s located at: “C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config”
– On mac it’s located at: “~/Library/Application\ Support/RimWorld/Config/”
– On linux it’s located at: “~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config”
Zetrith (Creator, Core Dev, Support)
NotFood (Core Dev, Mod Compatiblity)
Sokyran (Core Dev, Mod Compatiblity)
Mistress Mia (Support/Admin)
Thomas107500 (Dev, Mod Compatiblity)
Swept (Support, Dev, Admin, Website)
RimWorld Multiplayer Mod Review
A few multiplayer mods for RimWorld have already been popping out along the years, but this is THE multiplayer mod many players were looking for! Being able to play with other players on the same map. A true RimWorld Multiplayer experience!