The RimWorld Multiplayer Mod allows you to play RimWorld with your friends in the same game! Which means that you can finally go around and make those lovely human leather hats together with your favorite group of people while at the same time performing the many war crimes of RimWorld!
RimWorld Multiplayer Mod features
- Play with as many players as you want to (a maximum of 8 is recommended!).
- Integrated with the Steam API so no portforwarding is needed if you’re using it via Steam.
- Includes an Auto Desync Resolver (Arbiter).
- Currently works with 95%+ of all vanilla features.
- You can have multiple colonies (but all colonies are shared among all players).
- You can connect through either LAN, Steam, or direct (requires you to portforward or use a VPN).
- Works with mods. Not all mods will work in RimWorld Multiplayer. Please read the “Using mods in RimWorld Multiplayer Mod” step below if you plan on using them).
- Change your username in-game (under the mod options).
How to save a game?
A new option named “Save Replay” will show up on the menu that allows the saving of multiplayer games. You can also manually create a save typing /autosave in the chat.
What is the Arbiter?
The arbiter is a separate instance of RimWorld running which helps with desync resolving. You should never disable it to try and fix desync issues since you are still desyncing even if you disable it.
Using mods in RimWorld Multiplayer Mod
When using mods in with the RimWorld Multiplayer Mod there are a few things that you need to take into consideration. The first thing is to make sure that all of the mods you are going to use in multiplayer are marked as compatible with the RimWorld Multiplayer Mod. If they’re not, it’s very likely that you will experience a lot of lag which can be game breaking in some cases. You can find a list of all mods that are currently compatible with the RimWorld Multiplayer Mod here.
You also have to order your mods in the same way and have the same mods loaded at all times with every person trying to play a multiplayer game. After that, you also need to ensure all your configurations are exactly the same, so you should share the config files with every player. Otherwise it’s possible you’ll experience desync issues due to that.
Location of the config folder on Windows, Mac and Linux:
- Windows: C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config
- Mac: ~/Library/Application\ Support/RimWorld/Config/
- Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
This Modlist Checker can help you find differences between two mod lists to find discrepancies. Unfortunately, it only works with mods downloaded from the Steam Workshop.
RimWorld Multiplayer Mod Setup Tutorial
The RimWorld Multiplayer Mod needs to be loaded right after the core and before mods like HugsLib. If you want to play directly (without Steam) you will need to portforward the following ports: 30502 through UDP.
Mods are supported for some will require a specific patch that may or may not exist yet. The RimWorld Multiplayer Mod will work with players using different operating systems, but some mods may not.
If you are experiencing any issues with the RimWorld Multiplayer Mod please ask for help on the Official Discord server.
Other links of interest:
RimWorld Multiplayer Mod Review
A few multiplayer mods for RimWorld have already been popping out along the years, but this is THE multiplayer mod many players were looking for! Being able to play with other players on the same map. A true RimWorld Multiplayer experience!